If you are like me, this is something that I hear all too often. It is usually not true boredom cause is there really such a thing?? I think that being bored and not knowing what to do are two different things. If you are faced with this topic statement in your house, I have a few ideas (some courtesy of Disney Family).
- Water play — parks, pools, beaches, etc.
- Go to a local book store or library — and make a date of it! Many offer weekly story times and some even include a craft. Check your local venues for a calendar of events.
- Make a movie — give them a video camera and let them create (thanks to iCarly, my 7-year-old already thinks that this is the coolest idea EVER.)
- Give them a theme
- Pick a theme for each week: Cowboys, Astronauts, Knights and Princesses, etc.
- Make Monday “music day,” Tuesday “project day,” Wednesday “costume day,” “movie day” … whatever you want.
- Put it in a calendar format so the kids can anticipate what’s going on ahead.
- Break it down — by week and then by day. A must if you want to stay on any kind of routine which personally, I need to do!! I want to have a whole lot of fun but also make sure that mommy still gets to work out and that the boys still have some learning time snuck in.
- Free movies — check out Regal Theaters (or my previous post) for more details.
- Games — There are so many games to choose from.
- Puzzles — get one of the really big ones and let it have a place in your home to come back too when you need some downtime. If you are lacking at extra table, try setting this “project” up on a card table.
- Be a scientist — go here for fun ideas http://www.greensim.com/lemonade/concoctions.html
- Be an artist — take it outside, tape a large sheet of butcher paper along a fence and paint away (tip: look for paints that are eco-friendly and washable. I found several kid friendly art supplies on theglassbabybottle.com. Check them out!
The options for fun are endless. It might take a little time and patience but remember, the memories are yours for the making so be creative, have fun, play and most of all — SMILE!! 🙂